Click to share this page on Twitter!
three to four
Three year olds are usually fun to spend time
with. Their understanding of "the world" and
people is broader and they join into conversations
more readily. Signs of empathy are beginning you
frequently see their care and concern for other
people. Even though they know about sharing,
they aren't always willing to put it into practice!
Their imitation of adults broadens so you need to
be more careful of what you say and do!!
Fears begin, "monsters", "scary animals" and
"the dark" are the biggest fears at this age, so
bedtime frequently becomes more difficult.
language & cognitive skills
* speech is more clear (can understand most
of what is said)
* has a vocabulary of hundreds of words
* frequently asks questions
* speaks in 4-5 word sentences
* can describe how objects are used
* "me too" is a popular phrase!
* longer attention span
* understands concepts of "now", "later" and "soon"
* matches pictures to objects
* recognizes cause and effect relationships
social and emotional
* plays with other children
* developing friendships independent of parents
* more imaginative and loves "dress up" play
* loves to help--"me too"
* can make choices between two things
* begins to notice people's moods and feelings
* socializes well with others
* displays a full range of emotions
* more frequent bad dreams
* climbs ladder and uses slide independently
* rides tricycle
* throws ball overhead
* walks up stairs with alternating feet
* makes a block tower of more than 9 blocks
* assembles simple puzzles
* likes to dress and undress himself
* uses a fork and spoon and feeds self
* has mastered toilet training
* may stay dry most nights