- If you've been unhappy for a long time and have thought off and of about divorce, it's a good idea to begin to save some money. You may think that there is no money to save, but a few dollars here and there will add up! Be creative! Add some cash back to your debit card purchases. Small amounts at a time will rarely be noticed. Don't feel guilty about this! You are doing this to protect yourself again unforeseen circumstances ahead. Besides, you spouse may already have a secret stash! Although you will have to declare the money you have during discovery, you are just trying to take care of you self now!
- Open a Post Office box to use for all confidential mailings.
- Before you separate, you may want to take care of things like car repairs, clothes purchases for yourself and your children, etc. If your child will need braces soon, get that started because judges are more likely to enforce current expenses than new ones! Better to do that now with joint funds than to argue who pays what later.
- Gather all records. Go to GETTING STARTED for a comprehensive list.
- Go to THINGS TO DO ONCE YOU SEPARATE and follow the list!